China Travel Tips
Survival China Travel Tips and Tricks
These China Travel Tips, Survival Techniques, will help you get around and make your trip to China easier, so you will be able to experience the real China with a little less stress.
China is an odd beast that needs to be respected; the major cities, Beijing, Shanghai, and Xian, all have their own personalities.
Some complex situations that you think would be an organizational disaster turn out to be great and you wonder afterward what all the fuss and worry was about. Then the simplest of tasks can turn out to be a major calamity.
This is when you have what we call here a “China day”.
These days come and go and are part of the experience of everyday travel in China. One needs to have an open mind when travelling China. It is a place with thousands of years of history and culture that is trying overnight to adapt to Western ways of living.
You need to have a very open mind when you Travel in China.
I have listed below a few China Travel Tips that will make life that wee bit more bearable on your Travel China experience.
China Travel Tips – Be Toilet Wise
• Never expect a clean toilet 100% of the time.
• Be prepared; Carry some tissue.
• You may have to use a squat toilet, again if you know this before hand it is not a shock. If you don’t know how to use a squat toilet, try the following experiment at home.
While holding onto something for support with both hands, lower your body down into a low squat position, so that the cheeks of your bottom is almost touching your heels or the back of your calf. Now, let go with your hands. See if you stay in this position for at least 1 minute. If you fall backwards or you cannot get up, then a squat toilet could be a problem for you! Practice, you will be happy you did.
• If you see a clean toilet, Go… it may not come again for a while.
• There are many public toilets around the cities, usually the ones you pay for are OK, (RMB .5), the others best to stay away from if you can. You will soon notice them as you walk around the cities.
• Be warned that public areas like bus and train stations are usually what I class as “tough toilets”, however if gotta go you gotta go.
• Outside of the major cities, the toilet systems are old or have very narrow plumbing /pipes and get blocked easily. In these cases a small basket is usually beside the toilet, this is for your used toilet paper.
One of the best China Travel toilet Tips I can give you, is use hotel lobby toilets; these are everywhere and are always clean. Still they may not always have toilet paper. It depends on the class of hotel that you are using.
I do not wish to scare you. However, of all the China Travel Tips in all the other web sites I have read, this is a topic not often mentioned, but it is very important to us all.
So outside of the major cities conditions can be tough. But most of the time everything will be fine, especially if you book a tour; everything will have been checked out before hand. However even the best laid plans can go wrong, so be prepared, the toilets in the smaller cities, towns and villages can be scary.
China Travel Tips – The Food
• The food is great and the variety is overwhelming. Most of the time you get to choose what you eat, or you can recognize what you’re eating, however sometimes you do not get a choice. Carry a chocolate bar or something; this will keep you going until some food that you can recognize turns up. Drink bottled or boiled water, as the tap water is NOT safe to drink, this is for the whole of China. Even boiled water, while sterilised can contain a lot of minerals and iron deposits that you probably do not want in your system. The safest bet is to drink bottle water. Tap water in most big cities is OK for brushing teeth.
• Eating habits - Most Chinese people have a great habit of being very noisy when they eat and lunch and dinner times can be a wonderfully noisy celebration, food tends to go in all directions, its just part of being in China.
• People also smoke at the table while everyone is eating, so some restaurants get very loud and smoky.
• If you get stuck what to order as most of the menu’s are in Chinese just look at the table next to you and point to the dish you fancy and ask how much it is, this system works really well and know seems to mind.
• I have a basic menu that will help you order safe food, (no Cats or Dog) this will enable you to visit a larger selection of restaurants, not just the tourist ones with high prices. You can carry it with you and use it in the local restaurants where most will be able to serve what is on it. This way you will know what you are eating.
These local places are very cheap and the food it great. Contact me if you would like me to send it to you.
China Travel Tips – Taxis
• China Travel Tips- Taxis - Taxis are an experience that can have you griping the seat and gasping for breath; however you soon get used to it, after the first few rides, you’re an old hand.
• The taxis in Shanghai are, overall, quite good. Try to get the Blue, Blue’ish Turquoise, Gold and White taxis, these are the best… these are the four major taxi companies and are generally recognised by their single colour paintwork. The others are OK, just older and a rougher ride (the others also may have faulty metres). No drivers will speak English.
• Carry your hotel or accommodation business card with you, written in Chinese, this helps if you get lost walking around town.
• In all the taxis around the country you will see the drivers name and taxi registration number in plain sight. If you have any problem, or if you think you have been over charged etc, just take this number down, make a big fuss about it, and the driver then should wake up and fix whatever problem you have. Even better is to take the receipt. This has all the trip details on it and you can ring the taxi company if you want to take things further or if you’ve left something in the taxi.
• The government takes rip-off drivers in all cities, Beijing and Xian especially, very seriously and if you complain they will lose their license. This is their livelihood. So far I have had not one driver in 3 years that has not backed down and we have then agreed a price for the trip or solved our problem.
• In Shanghai, it is common practice for taxi fare increases after 11pm. However, one can usually bargain for a 20% discount, which will get the fare back to the pre-11pm rate.
Be strong with the taxi drivers, never-the-less, keep your cool, smile and negotiate.
China Travel Tips – Shopping
• China Travel Tips - Shopping - China is a shopper’s paradise, Markets, Bargains; Top labels… anything and everything if you have the time. With clothes, the larger (Western) sizes can be quite hard to find, however in the major cities where you get a lot of tourist traffic, you can find them.
• Electrical gear, DVD’s, Cameras, stuff like this is not worth buying in China, Hong Kong is still the best place for this.
• Store hours in the major cities are from 10am to 10pm, 7 days a week.
• Visa card is still the best card to carry, with ATM’s in good supply all with PLUS access etc.
There is usually a surcharge for use of VISA, MasterCard or other forms of credit card.
• Wait on purchasing if you can, look around to get a feel for the prices. The Chinese are VERY experienced at selling and know that we halve the opening price when bargaining.
In the markets go for 25% of what they first ask; go so low that they let you walk away. This will give you an idea of the bottom price. The resulting end-price will probably be around 40% to 50% of where they started.
Whatever the market people say, they are used to pushing and haggling for best prices. Do not worry about being too hard, they are used to it and will not sell you an item unless they make a profit. Don’t be concerned with the apparently hurt body language when you go low – it is all part of the game. As soon as they have wrapped up your first purchase, they will try to sell you something more. Remember to keep smiling and having fun while bargaining.
China Travel Tips – Medical Treatment and Records
• Most hotels will have a doctor that you can see. In the major hotels English will be spoken.
• Always take a small first aid kit, cold remedy, headache tablets at the very least. WATSONS is a very large chain chemist. Most of the remedies, tablets etc, that you may require should be in these shops. These shops are all over China.
• There is a great network of pharmacy type shops; these are indicated by a Green Cross. There will always be a 24 hr Green Cross pharmacy in the city you are in. It is handy to carry a Phase book, as no one will speak English, however you will end up with something that will help.
• INPORTANT POINT – for most of the mass produced packet type medicines, the packaging will be written in Chinese on one side, English on the other. However in the shops you only see the Chinese side. Have a good look, turn the packs over, it gives you a lot more confidence knowing you can read the package.
• If you have a specific medical issue, take records, most of the Doctors will have OK written / reading English, even though their oral English will be poor.
China Travel Tips – Telephone
• Using the phone is as easy as at home. However the person picking it up will not speak English or have very broken English… the Major 4- or 5-Star Hotels will all be OK.
• What is worth doing is buying a Chinese Telecom SIM card, they are about RMB100 and with this you get RMB50 in calls, the other 50 is for the price of the SIM card; this SIM card will go into all major brand phones and work OK.
By doing this, people can reach you within and out of China if there is an emergency. If you have a couple of phones, you can short (txt) message each other (SMS). Also you are able to call your tourist guide, hotel etc if you have any major problems. It is a cheap way to keep in touch.
NB.Before you buy a Chinese SIM card, check that it will work in your Cell / Mobile phone. There are plenty of China Telecom shops that can help.
China Travel Tips on when NOT to move around China.
• Spring Festival, this would be the Chinese New Year time, around the end of January / Early February
• Early May; Labour day Holidays
• Early October; National Day Holidays
Of all the China Travel Tips National Day is the biggest one. Millions of Chinese travel at these holiday times of the year. Most are travelling back to home towns or visiting family. Hotels, trains, planes, cars, buses, and roads are all crowded to the maximum. Major congestion, everywhere.
Also travel fares are at their full price. No discounts are offered!
Stay in one place and enjoy where you are. It’s best and causes fewer hassles.
China Travel Tips – TV
• If you want to watch TV, most of the major hotels will have cable and if you are in the smaller places, the national channel, CCTV9 is in English. Over the last couple of years it has got a lot better, with some great China Travel Tips programs, news and views on people and places around China.
China Travel Tips – Airport Tax
• There is a “construction fee” at almost all airports.
Domestic flights RMB 50
International flights RMB 90 – which is to be paid in local currency.
Just recently, tickets are being tissued with the Construction Tax included; however make sure you have the Tax money with you just to make sure.
I hope some of these China Travel Tips will come in handy and will make your trip to China that little bit easier.
If you have been to China and wish to share your China Travel Tips, please feel free to contact me anytime.
About the Author
Hi I'm John Mckenna, I am from New Zealand and have lived in Shanghia China now for 3 years.
I own and operate http://www.Travel-the-Real-China .com my site provides experienced based Travel and Tour information on the wonders of Travel in China, the Real China, Ancient China, China at its very best
Written by: John Mckenna
10 Tips for Hassle Free Business Travel
11 Essentials Tips for the Business Traveler
11 Tips For Traveling With ME CFS or FM
18 Tips for the Christmas Traveler to Sleep Like a Baby
2006 Ford Expedition A Whole New Way to Travel
5 6 Trillion Dollar Travel Business Is Creating Millionaires
5 Romantic Travel Resolutions
8 Tips for Packing and Traveling Lite
A Complete India Travel Guide Launched
A TIME TRAVEL POSTCARD
ABCs of Adventure Travel
Add the New Braunfels Texas Wurstfest to Your Fall Travel
Air Travel around the world and let your cares fall by the wayside as you take wonderful vacations
Air Travel With Your Pit Bull Terrier Dog
AIR TRAVELERS AREN T ALONE JOB APPLICANTS CAN EXPECT TO WAIT IN LONGER LINES TOO
ALASKA BRIEF TRAVEL GUIDE
All You Need to Know About Travel Humidors
Along The Well Traveled Path
Alternatives for Business Travelers
An Adventurers Travel Checklist
Are you a Traveler
Are you travelling along the slippery slope to your grave
Asian Girls Dating Why Travel To Thailand
Assorted Tips For Business Travelers
Baby Travel Systems
Beautiful BARCELONA Easy Travel Guide
Become A Travel Pro In One Easy Lesson
Boost Your Charitable Giving Responses with Travel Incentives
Breaking News Cognigen Is Now In The Travel Business
Brochures for Travel and Vacation
Bryce Canyon a stunning US travel destination
Build your business with Travel Incentives
Businesses Cut Travel in Katrina s Wake
Cancun Vacations offer the chance to travel Mexico and stay at some beautiful Mexico resorts
Cheap Travel Secrets
China Business Travel 101
Choosing The Best Travel Accommodation
Choosing Your Best Travel Destination
Coastal Vacations Largest Travel Package Marketer Pays Out Over Half A Million Dollars In Commissions Since May
Colorado travel guide
Contract Cleaners Travel To Expand
Convergence in Mobile Devices Drives Travel Technology Adoption and Innovation
Corporate Coach Hire A guide to choosing a company for executive travel
Corporate Housing It s Not Just for Business Travelers
Corporate Travel Management
Corporate Travel Policy
Costa Rica Travel Packages
Cruise Travel Home Business
Damanhur and Time Travel Viewing
Dare to Understand Travel Terms Then Sit Back and Enjoy Traveling
Deducting your combined biz vacation travel
Desiya com Redefining Hospitality Industry And Business Travel In India
Did I Pack My Toothbrush Getting Organized for Travel
Discover The Biggest Travel Secret In The World Today And Book A Free Flight
Do I need travel insurance
Do You Make These Air Travel Mistakes
Dog Travel Supplies
Dog Travel Taking a Vacation with Your Dog
Dogs On The Road Traveling Tips
Dogs Travel Worries Solutions
Dublin travel guide
e Marginalia Travel Beyond the Margin
Eating Well on a Travel Budget
Eight Great Tips For The Adventure Traveler
Electric Scooters A new way of travel
Equitours Worldwide Horseback Riding Adventures Change World Perceptions of the American Traveler
Eurail travel a way to extend a holiday to Europe
Exciting Vacations in Your Own Backyard You Don t Need To Travel Far To Experience A Memorable Getaway
Exclusive Travel Turkey
Extracting Real Benefits From Travel Expense Management
Finding Te Best Travel Reward Credit Cards
Finding the Best Travel Credit Cards
Finding Travel Deals
First Time Travel to Europe Your Six Month Planning Guide
Five Affordable World Travel Destinations
Four Ways to Free Low Cost Travel
Four Ways to Free Low cost Travel Around Greece and not only
Frequent Disneyland Travel and savings
Get Paid To See The World Become a Travel Writer
Getting the Most of your Cell Phone Batteries when Travelling
Getting The Most Out Of Your Travel Deals
GOLDEN RING of Russia Travel Guide Part 1
GOLDEN RING of Russia Travel Guide Part 2
Golf Travel Bags Choose Wisely to Protect Your Investment
Golf Travel Cases Avoid Vacation Mishaps By Protecting Your Clubs In Advance
Good Websites Stand Out From The Masses Of Boring Hard To Travel
Gullible s Travels
HAVE CLOTHES WILL TRAVEL
Have Laptop Will Travel
Have new technologies improved solo business travels
Have Pet Can Travel
Health Information for Travelers to Central America
Health Insurance for International Travelers
HELP FOR ROAD WARRIORS Ten Tips To Simplify Travel
Helping Familes find the right Car Seat for their little Travellers
Herbal Remedies To Prevent Travelers Diarrhea
HeroVacations com Adds Numerous Golf Travel Packages to Web Site
Highway Madness Holiday Travel In New Jersey
Hilton Head Island Travel Guide
History of travel luggage From the beginning to today
Home Based Travel Business How to Make it Work for You
Home Travel Agent Will I Be Able To Live On My Home Based Travel Agent Salary
How Business Travellers Can Stay Safe in the Worlds Hotspots
How Do You Stay Fit While Traveling
How To Be Safe While Traveling
How to Become a Travel Agent in 24 Hours
How to Ease Travel Sickness this Summer
How to find a Cheap Hotel for Business Travel
How to keep your baby happy while traveling Games
How To Make Business Travel Easier on Your Family
How to Pick a Travel Agency
How to save money buying travel online and get the best deal
How To Save Money When Traveling
How to Start Home Based Travel Businesses
How to Travel for Free by Leading or Promoting Tours
How to travel on journey of life successfully
How To Travel The World For Free
How Would YOU Like to Have a Travel Buddy Who Knows How to Pick up Girls
Important Things to Remember About Hotels and Traveling when Going to Asia
Indochina Travel and Tours
International Adventure Travel Ideas
International Travel and Health Insurance
Is A Travel Nursing Career A Dream Come True
Is there Really Free Travel on the Internet
Jasper Travel to Canada s Rocky Mountain Paradise
Laptop Care How to Protect Your Laptop When Traveling
Laptop Computer Extras for the Mobile Traveler
Learning To See By Traveling With a Teddy Bear
Limo Service Advice
London Travel Everything you need to know about London from eating out to staying in
Make money finding ways to cash in on the travel and tourism boom
Make Money While You Travel
Make Travel Plans For Tsunima Relief
Maradona did not travel with Boca Juniors
Maximizing Storage Options For Travel In Your Motorhome or RV
Medical Information for Foreign Travelers
MEGA WORLDWIDE TRAVEL ONLINE
Money Saving Travel Tips
Moneynet blasts high street travel agents for exorbitant insurance premiums
My Top Ten Tips For Selling Travel on eBay
Namibia A Bountiful Harvest Awaits the Adventure Traveler
NEW ZEALAND AUSTRALIA TRAVEL SPECIALIST SPEAKS
Noise Cancelling Headphones A Travellers Best Friend
Noise Cancelling Headphones Are Not Just A Travel Accessory They re A Travel Necessity
Online Casinos Gambling Without the Travel Costs
Online Security while Traveling in the United States and Abroad
Online Travel Bargain
Online Travel Statistics
Optimising your travel website
Out on the road traveling at high speed Now we can hook our laptops up to high speed mobile wireless Internet
Pack List for a Cruise and other Travel Tips
Pet Friendly Travel 10 Tips for Hassle Free Travel with Your Pet
Pet s Records Can Ease Travel Play and Stays
Photography Tips While Traveling
Planning International Travel for Christmas
Planning on Doing Some International Travel Over the Holidays
Playing Your Cards Right Tips for Traveling with Credit Cards
Pluto Travels through the Mind
Prepare Young Drivers For Safe Winter Travel
Preparing to travel
Rail Europe for the Student Traveler
Reward your Employees with Travel Incentives
RoomSaver com Reels in Travelers Who Prefer to Plan Ahead
RoomSaver com Releases Survey Results Profiling Holiday Travel Destinations
RoomSaver com Releases Survey Results Profiling Travelers Reservation Habits
RV and Motorhome Vacations Offer Discount Travel Options
San Francisco Travel Discover the Mission District s Murals
Save Lots By Booking Your Travel Online
Save Up To 50 Off Hotel AV Equipment Rates With A Tech Travel Agent
Save Up To 50 When Traveling On Vacation
Saving money on European travel with rail passes
Secrets to Traveling with Children
Seven Secrets for Successful Travel
Seven Tips for Organized Holiday Travel
Shopping for the Best Luggage for Vacations and Business Travel
Single Travel Meet People the Fun Way
So you want to get free airline tickets Should you get a travel reward or cash back credit card
Some tips for the Travel Agent Making a Great web site
Start Up a Travel Photography Business
Staying healthy while traveling
Staying Mosquito Free While Traveling
Student Travel Backpacking In Europe
Successfull travel is not just cheap plane tickets
Successfull travel is not just cheap plane tickets Part 2
Survey indicates that nursing shortage is a concern to many Travel nurses may help ease the crisis
Survival China Travel Tips and Tricks
Taking Care of Your Health For Safe Travelling
Taking The Road Less Traveled
Taste For Adventure Try Traveling By Motorcycle
Technology For Travelers
Ten Tips Before You Travel
Ten Travel Commandments
The Advantages of Travel Chess Sets
The Benefits of Travel First Aid Kits
The Best Travel Games
The Business Traveler s Diet Problem Staying Fit When on the Run
The Chance To Travel Mexico And Stay At Some Beautiful Mexican Resorts
The Importance of Travel for A Writer
The Importance of Travel Insurance
The Many Benefits of Travel Protection Plans
The New Consumer A Teen s Eye View of Search Engines Online Purchasing Travel
The Road Less Traveled
The Road Less Traveled Open Eyed Internet Marketing
The Road More Travelled
The Top 100 Travel Products That You Can t Live Without
The Traveller Next Door My Friend Carol Expert on Turkey and Greece 1
The Traveller Next Door My Friend Carol Expert on Turkey and Greece 2
The Traveller Next Door My Friend Carol Expert on Turkey and Greece 3
The Traveller s Insurance Checklist
This Passport PREVENTS Travel
Time travel sci fi
Time Travel What s Your Speed and Direction
TIME TRAVELLING POSTERS AND PICTURES
Tips For Choosing The Perfect Travel Mug
Tips for saving money traveling in China
Tips For Traveling With Rover
Tips If Traveling To An Area With Bird Flu
Top 10 Tips For Traveling By Air With An Elderly Parent
Top 10 Travelers Tips for a Happy Family
Top Adventure Travel Jobs
Travel Agency Software How Sweet It Is
Travel Alaska An Adventure of a Lifetime
Travel and Fitness
Travel and Scenic Photography 101
Travel and Tourism in Sierra Leone is a Hot Topic
Travel Arrangements and Insurance
Travel Asia Festivities and Fun
Travel Blog Your Next Vacation
Travel business opportunity seekers are smart people
Travel Canada The Calgary Stampede
Travel Comfort Discover How To Get Some Decent Sleep While Traveling Even Those Cramped Coach Seats
Travel Connections Stay in Touch
Travel costs are up but some companies are giving business
Travel Credit Cards
Travel Credit Cards For Travelers
Travel Doctor Q A
Travel Guide and Tourist Attractions
Travel Guidebooks Reviewed
Travel Health Insurance Know Your Coverage Before An Emergency Occurs
Travel Health Insurance Reimbursement Depends On Following The Rules
Travel Health Useful medical information for good health before your departure during your trip and after your return
Travel in Style Favorite Celebrity Vacations
Travel Industry Trends and Predictions 2004
Travel Insurance Helpful Tips For Your Trip
Travel Insurance Insurance For The Over 65 s
Travel Insurance Might Be Just What You Need
Travel Insurance rates
Travel Insurance Tips
Travel Journey to Nepal
Travel Kashmir at cheapest price
Travel Light The How And Why
Travel Light to Work
Travel Money Belts Travel Security
Travel Nursing Career A Dream Come True
Travel Phobia and Fear Of Driving
Travel Rewards From Using Your Credit Card
Travel Safety How to Take a Fearless Ride by Bus Train or Taxi
Travel Shanghai China
Travel Software Faster Better Smarter
Travel the World for Free
Travel Tips For People With Crohn s Disease
Travel Tips to America
Travel to Deep Space by Sitting at your Computer
Travel to find a Russian bride
Travel To Lake Louise Vacation Capital Of Canada
Travel To Russia Baikal Lake
Travel To Russia Kamchatka
Travel To Russia Vladivostok Russian Lord of the East
Travel to Turkey for the 2006 Total Solar Eclipse
Travel Wallet Checklist
Travel Web Sites 5 Dirty Little Secrets
Travel Will Create 144 Million New Jobs By The Year 2005
Travel With a Reliable Partner
Travel Without Taking A Look At TeeTimeWatch com
Travel Writer Jobs What Are They And How To Find Them
Travel Your Way To More Traffic
Travelcasting Offers On Demand Vacation Sneak Peeks
Travelers Logon for Advice Before Booking Travel
Travelers with Disabilities The Untapped Market
Traveling Be sure to have a valid passport
Traveling for An Interview 10 Tips to Get You From Here to There
Traveling for Business in Comfort The Right Wardrobe Is Essential
Traveling For Thanksgiving Keeping Kids Busy
Traveling in Mexico City The Ins Outs of Getting Around
Traveling in Wheelchair
Traveling on a Budget Try These Money Saving Vacation Ideas
Traveling on business Need Internet access
Traveling Out Of Body
Traveling to Boston Eight tips to save you a boatload of cash
Traveling to Europe with your digital camera
Traveling U S Passport Expediting Services
Traveling with Babies Toddlers
Traveling with Diabetes 11 tips to make it easy for you
Traveling With Kids
Traveling With Scuba Dive Gear and Equipment
Traveling with VoIP
Traveling With Your Dog Some Tips From The Road
Traveling with Your Pet A Quick Checklist for Pet Owners
Travellers Be Careful What You Eat
Travellers Make Your Health Policy Work For You
Travelling on business Need Internet access
Travelling Overseas Staying Healthy
Travelling safely with your child
Travelling Smart Overseas With Your Cellphone
Travelling To South America With A Tour Group
Travelling To Spain The Spanish Regional Travel Guide
Travelling to the UK from abroad
Travelling with your cat
UP UP AND AWAY Ten Steps To Simplify Travel Packing
Useful Tips For Women Traveling Alone
Vacation or Re location Beaches or Museums California Travel is Hot
Virtual Walks of Europe A Unique Travel Experience
What Is A Home Based Travel Agent
What is Travel Insurance
What To Look For In Credit Card Travel Rewards
What You Need To Carry When You Travel With Your Dog
What you need to know about Barcelona travel
What you need to know about Budget travel
What you need to know about Business travel
What you need to know about cancun travel
What you need to know about germany travel
What you need to know about senior citizens travel
What you need to know about Travel in Luxury
Wheelchair Travel Tips
When Traveling Abroad Use Your EQ
Who else wants to earn 1000 per DAY in Travel Industry
Why Buy Travel Insurance
Will You Be a Trusted Traveler
Work Life Balance Tips for the Business Traveler
Workouts That Travel
www my dubai co uk UK based Travel agency offers online booking of Flight and Hotel
Your Guide for Travel and Hotels in Columbia